The Court House


Of surviving early court houses in New Brunswick, the Queens County Court House is one of the oldest, dating from 1836. The "new Court House, a neate and well-finished building", was first occupied in January 1838.

Local builder John Glass constructed the Court House with plans and designs supplied by Saint John architect John Cunningham. Over the next century various repairs and renovations occurred: new furniture, wallpaper, paint, metal ceilings, and modern conveniences such as electricity, oil heating, and indoor plumbing.

Records indicate a variety of interesting court cases including the serious crimes of arson, assault, and murder, but also cases relating to unpaid accounts, horse and cow theft, and using profanity in a public place. In addition to legal cases, County Justices of the Peace and later County Councillors met in the building and supervised local administration.

The Court House closed in the mid-1960s and its court cases were moved to Burton, N.B. The building stood vacant for twenty years until the Queens County Historical Society launched an extensive restoration program that was completed in 1994. Throughout the year, special cultural events and exhibitions are staged along with various permanent displays. Featured are original decor and the Hetherington Research Center for those researching Queens County history and genealogy.














The Judges Room
Queens County Heritage The Judges Room

The Court Room
Queens County Heritage The Court Room